Natural Dye Workshop I: Colors of Provence Using Sustainable Methods
(Discounts Do Not Apply to DVDs)
Join Michel Garcia in Lauris, France as he shares his knowledge as one of the leading natural dye experts in the world. Learn how he has revised traditional European methods - once laborious and polluting - into simpler, safer, modern recipes sensitive to issues of sustainability.
Includes in-depth explorations of indigo pigment extraction with woad, brewing easy organic vats with fructose and with henna, and building shades with clay paste resist; mordanting with alum and ferrous on cotton including brush and block printing techniques, fixing mordant with wheat bran and dyeing yellow with artichoke, and combining techniques for simple polychromatic effects; a mordant project painting and printing with cochineal and red vine leaf; dyeing with madder, discharging with lemon, cleaning with sulfonated castor oil and marseille soap; polychromatic effects with resist paste, block printing, and over-dyeing, using a variety of mordants and dyes.
Extended Bonus Notes on www.naturaldyeworkshop.com are made available with purchase.
- Indigo Pigment Extraction with Woad
- Indigo Vat 1-2-3! with Fructose
- Dyeing Various Fibers
- Indigo Vat 1-2-3! with Henna
- Indigo with Resist: Shades of Blue with Clay Paste
- Dark Mordant for Cotton: Ferrous Mordant including Brush Techniques and Block Printing
- Bright Mordant for Cotton: Alum Mordant
- Fixing Mordant with Wheat Bran and Yellow Dye from Artichoke Leaves
- Simple Polychromatic Effects by Diluting Alum and Ferrous Mordant
- Color Swatch Project Using Yellow Dye from Artichoke
- Summary: A Variety of Possibilities from Garden Plants and Logwood Extract
Mordant Project: Using Cochineal and Red Vine Leaf
- Color Swatch Review and Thickened Mordant Preparation
- Fabric Painting with Alum Mordant
- Block Printing with Alum Mordant
- Dyeing with Cochineal and Red Vine Leaf
- Discharging Mordant with Lemon Juice
- Dyeing with Madder and Cleaning with Sulfonated Castor Oil
- Immersion Dyeing: White Designs on a Colored Background Using Lemon Juice Discharge
- Enhanced Cleaning with Marseille Soap
- Reserving Colors Using Resist Paste in an Indigo Dye Bath: Over-dyeing with Blue on Gall Nut Dyed Fabric
- Four Shades of Madder Immersion Dye
- Indigo Blue and Clay Resist
- Osage Yellow and Block Printing with Alum Mordant Paste
- Ferrous Mordant as a Rust Color
- Designing with Ferrous Mordant and Dyeing with Gall Nut
- Using a Clay Resist and Over-dyeing with Indigo
- Multicolor Effects on Indigo: Using Pomegranate/Alum and Ferrous/Osage/Alum Mix
- Over-dyeing with Cochineal: Multicolor to Polychromatic
Produced by Yoshiko I. Wada (Slow Fiber Studios); directed and filmed by Andrew Galli (Studio Galli); 2011. 2 discs; 4:3 aspect; 183 minutes; worldwide play; English audio; subtitles in Chinese, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Spanish.
All sales are final. No returns or refunds.
Slow Fiber Studios is not responsible for lost or stolen packages. Please contact your local post office with your tracking number to resolve any issues with delivery.
Please allow up to five days from the original purchase date for Slow Fiber Studios staff to process orders.
USPS First Class International shipping does not include tracking service. Please use Priority Mail International or higher to guarantee tracking to the destination.
Slow Fiber Studios is not responsible for packages held or confiscated at customs. Customs may delay your package delivery significantly. Some countries may require in-person pickup or charge fees before releasing your package. The customer is responsible for any customs fees. Using Priority Mail International or higher is more likely to expedite your package.
Wholesale prices are available for select shop items. Please enquire with email@example.com for product information, prices, and terms.