STREAMING ALSO AVAILABLE on VIMEO LINK! Natural Dye Workshop III: Organic Dyes to Pigment: Foundations for the Colors of Europe
To Purchase or Rent the Digital Version of this DVD, visit This Link!
Rejoin Michel Garcia in Lauris, France for a survey of the foundations for organic dyes and pigments in his typical style constructing modern sustainable methods with an eye towards historical traditions and chemical and botanical science. Beginning with a playful demonstration with garden flowers, Michel develops pigments and dyes for a variety of applications including inks for calligraphy, paints for printing and painting on paper and silk, pure pigments for watercolor, lake pigments and Maya Blue for wood and plaster walls, and dye extracts for one-bath dyeing of protein fibers.
Includes in-depth explorations of metallic salts for organic inks using pagoda tree, berries and woods, alum, gall nut, ferrous and titanium; methods for applying color to paper and silk by thickening inks, preparing and stretching fabrics, painting, screen printing, and block printing; precipitating pigments from walnut husks, lake pigments, and storing and preserving pigment pastes; making pure pigments from wild plants, pigment paste to powder, and grinding and bottling pigments; making and storing lake pigment and dyeing, printing, and mordanting on linen with lac extract; creating red, yellow, and blue pigments using madder, weld, and Maya Blue; preparing watercolors; painting on wood and plaster with casein, egg yolk, plaster, and beeswax.
Extended Bonus Notes on www.naturaldyeworkshop.com are made available with purchase.
- Experimenting with Flowers
- Yellow from Pagoda Tree
- Colors from Berries and Woods
- Colors with Alum
- Black from Gall Nut Tannin
- Various Colors with Ferrous and Titanium
- Thickening Inks with Gum Arabic
- Testing Inks on Paper
- Preparing Silk Fabric for Painting
- Thickening Silk Paints with Gums
- Stretching the Fabric for Painting
- Painting Silk with Brushes
- Screen Printing on Silk
- Block Printing on Silk
- Colors on Silk
- Brown Pigment from Walnut Husks
- More Lake Pigments
- Storing and Preserving Pigment Pastes
- Wild Plants
- From Pigment Paste to Powder
- Grinding and Bottling Pigments
- Lake Pigment and Dye Extract
- Filtering the Lake Lac and Extract
- Storing the Paste
- One-Bath Protein Fiber Dyeing
- Special Mordant for Linen with Lac Extract
- Dyeing and Printing Linen with Lac Extract
- Preparing Madder for Pigment Lake and Dye Extract
- One-Bath Protein Fiber Dyeing with Madder Extract
- Red Pigment from Madder Lake
- Yellow Pigment from Weld Lake
- Finishing Madder and Weld Lakes
- Maya Blue Pigment
- Re-dissolving Lake for Dyeing Protein Fiber
- Grinding Pigment and Binder for Paint Tubes
- Testing Paints on Paper
- Pigment Paint with Casein on Wood
- Pigment Paint with Egg Yolk on Wood
- Pigment Paint with Plaster on Walls
- Polishing Painted Walls with Beeswax
- Pigment Paste with Beeswax on Walls and Polishing
Produced by Yoshiko I. Wada (Slow Fiber Studios); directed and filmed by Andrew Galli (Studio Galli); Music composed by Andrew Galli of Galli Creative; 2014. 2 discs; 16:9 aspect; 239 minutes; worldwide play; English audio; subtitles in Chinese, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Spanish.
All sales are final. No returns or refunds.
Slow Fiber Studios is not responsible for lost or stolen packages. Please contact your local post office with your tracking number to resolve any issues with delivery.
Please allow up to five days from the original purchase date for Slow Fiber Studios staff to process orders.
USPS First Class International shipping does not include tracking service. Please use Priority Mail International or higher to guarantee tracking to the destination.
Slow Fiber Studios is not responsible for packages held or confiscated at customs. Customs may delay your package delivery significantly. Some countries may require in-person pickup or charge fees before releasing your package. The customer is responsible for any customs fees. Using Priority Mail International or higher is more likely to expedite your package.
Wholesale prices are available for select shop items. Please enquire with email@example.com for product information, prices, and terms.