8 ISS Hong Kong Materials Set
This set collects materials from the 8th International Shibori Symposium (Hong Kong, 2011), including catalogs from exhibitions organized withåÊThe Hong Kong Design Institute and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University as well asåÊa Hong Kong textile arts journal published in conjunction with the symposium and distributedåÊto its attendees.
The catalog for the 8 ISS exhibitions organized in partnership with The Hong Kong Design Institute features artworks from four of the exhibitions arranged for the symposium:
- Animal Fibers: Art Informs Shibori, presenting international artworks created from animal fiber or hide and utilizing shibori techniques, illustrating the transformative properties of protein-based materials. Curated by Jean Williams Cacicedo and Jorie Johnson.
- Animal Fibers in Chinese Tradition, highlighting woolen textiles and costumes of the Yi minority group, Liangshan prefecture, Sichuan province, from the Textile Collection of Jin Ze Arts Centre. Curated by Edith Sai May Cheung.
- Wearable Art: Draped, Shaped, Flow and Shadow, celebrating the transformation of 2D materials into 3D wearable art by sixteen international artists. Curated by Elita Tam and Lydia Tanji.
- Animal Fibers Remix, showcasing artworks by final-year students of the Department of Fashion and Image Design at Hong Kong Design Institute which experiment with color, material, texture, and technique in the medium of animal fibers. Curated by Joanne Lau and Jo Lau.
Edited by Yoshiko Iwamoto Wada and Elita Lam; designed by Joanne Lau and Lai Tang; published in Hong Kong by The Hong Kong Design Institute (2011). 29 x 29cm (11.4 x 11.4in); 64 pages; full color images; English text.
The catalog for the 8 ISS exhibitions organized in partnership with The Hong Kong Polytechnic University includes an essay "Art Informs Shibori - Shibori Informs Art" by Yoshiko Iwamoto Wada and features artworks from three of the exhibitions arranged for the symposium:
- Energy Nexus: Fiber Art, curated by Ana Lisa Hedstrom, Debbie Leung, Hiroko Watanabe, and Gloria Wong
- Energy Nexus: Wearable Art, curated by Lydia Tanji and Gloria Wong
- New Beat: International Student Concours, curated by Jooyoung Shin
Edited by Yoshiko Iwamoto Wada, Kinor Jiang, and Xuelin Liao; designed by Match Wong; published in Hong Kong by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2011). 21 x 29.7cm (8.25 x 11.7in); 100 pages; full color images; English text. ISBN 9789623677431.
A specialty journal focused on Asian textile collections, exhibitions, and scholarship. This issue features articles ‰ÛÏShibori as an Art Form‰ by Yoshiko Iwamoto Wada and ‰ÛÏBatik: Java‰۪s Gift to the World‰ by Judi Achjadi.
Edited by Bonnie Corwin; published in Hong Kong by Textiles Asia (January 2012, Volume 3, Issue 3). 21 x 29.5cm (8.25 x 11.6in); 28 pages; full color images; English text. ISSN 22250190.